Title: Just EllaAuthor: Margaret Peterson Haddix
Genre: Fairy/Folk Tale
Description: The continuance of the story of Cinderella, but as Ella (a.k.a. Cinderella) begins to live the life of a princess, she realizes it is not what she thought.
I enjoyed this book, but I realized some parts are not what I thought. I like these stories about the aftermath or true story of a fairy tale, and this one goes pretty well, but, as I always say, every piece of writing has some weak spots.
As the story unfolds, Ella is not portrayed as the poor servant girl who needs mice and a fairy godmother to help her. She is an independent, defiant, strong-willed young woman, called Cinders-Ella by her Step-Evils. She took matters into her own hands, and somehow the magical story was brought into the mix by over-imaginative townsfolk. I like Cinderella known this way--she isn't so much the magical Disney character we know, but just herself, Ella. Hence the title.
The story is interesting as she fights back against the palace that is trying to shape her into the perfect lady. Her aims are set, and they continue like this through the whole book. I enjoyed her fight against delicacy, and the fight for her own way. She faces whatever lies between her and her goal. But it keeps going in this vein for the whole book, and then there is this abrupt change at the end. The first time I read this and finished it, I sat there for a moment and thought, "The End? Huh?" The story left off a little suddenly and it wasn't until I had read it a few times that I realized a point had been made by the author. When it leaves off, there are some unsolved problems and goings-on, but you are told Ella is happy. The End. It isn't quite that direct, so it took me a couple minutes to figure out that this story was told with Ella wanting more, wanting this and doing it, but never feeling content. So Ella has found her happiness. She finally knows her place. But until I reached the end, I had no idea this is what the author was getting at. I had a few guesses of the conclusion, but none of them fit in now, like she would finally find the right prince, or true love, or whatever. I am also a little unsure how Ella is happy. I think if I was in her place, I would have a sense of purpose and determination, but she already had that. This isn't as bad or abrupt of an ending as I first thought; there is evidence leading up to the conclusion, but it could do with some refining and some more wrapping up. I hope you readers will read this book and tell me what you think.
The author also has a habit (which sometimes gets annoying) of ending chapters with questions. Ella will make a statement,(for example, "I like chocolate.) then finish up the chapter with a contradicting question like "Or do I?" At some ponts she is facing confusing periods of time, but sometimes I just think, I don't know. Make up your mind. But these questions do supply an interesting bit of foreshadowing.
I look forward to your comments on this book, and hearing your thoughts.

No comments:
Post a Comment