Sunday, August 16, 2009

Book #1--Again


Being my first ever book review, my The True Meaning of Smekday review is pretty lame. I'm going to do this great book some justice right here.


Title: The True Meaning of Smekday


Author: Adam Rex


Genre: Adventure, Science Fiction


Description: Aliens envade Earth in 2013!! Join the Amazing Gratuity Tucci and her hilarious alien friend, J.Lo, on a journey you won't forget!

Anyway.
I laugh at what I just wrote, because the most distinguishable feature of the main character, Gratuity Tucci, is her voice. One of the most common things she does is go off topic then say, "Anyway." Adam Rex does a great job at the voices, and gives each character their own special way of speaking. J.Lo the alien's first language, Boovish, consists of strange sounds mixed together, like a Crying Baby Riding on a Duck with Its Mouth Full. Anyway. One of J.Lo's common English mistakes is saying 'for' or 'to' after the 5 w's. For example: Wherefor are you knowing it? or Whyfor is he exploring our car? He also confuses the word 'exploding' with 'exploring.' Not a good idea. Still, Gratuity and J.Lo make a hilarious combination with their distinct characters.
Not just the voices are great, but the plot. Aliens land, twice! They take up the entire U.S. and leave only one state for the entire human population! Find out what its really like, all through the eyes of an eleven -year-old girl whose mom was taken by the aliens! This same girl drives across America with her funny Boov sidekick and her cat! And get the first-hand story on how strange aliens can be! It can't get any better than that.
Even as an avid book reader, I only find a few books that really take me into their world. You always hear about books as being the doorway into different and amazing places. I'm not saying they aren't, but have you ever almost forgot where you were and belived yourself to be with the characters? With this one I laughed out loud and cautiously made my way across an alien-filled America with the two main characters.
This is a book you don't want to miss, seriously!!!!
Anyway.






No comments: